Baltimore Birth Injury Lawyer
Nothing is more joyous than the birth of a baby. Many parents are over the moon when their children are born.
However, childbirth can be dangerous. Even though babies are born everyday, issues happen. If the baby is born early or is too big, it can cause complications. So can lengthy labor, fetal distress, or an abnormal fetal position.
While some of these issues are outside a doctor’s control, there are some birth injuries that are caused by the negligence of a medical professional. Poor monitoring and refusal to order a C-section would be examples.
If your doctor was negligent during childbirth, your baby could be harmed. They may suffer long-term injuries. Get the compensation you need to pay for medical bills and other damages. Furman | Honick Law can assess your case. Contact a Baltimore birth injury lawyer today.
Causes of Birth Injuries
Birth injuries can be caused by the following:
- Delayed birth. This is one of the most common causes of birth injuries. A delayed birth is one in which labor lasts more than 18 hours. Doctors need to act quickly. Labor causes pressure on the infant’s brain, which can lead to high blood pressure, strokes, and other cardiovascular issues.
- Misuse of birthing tools. Many doctors use forceps and vacuum extractors to help with the birthing process. However, some doctors do not use these tools properly. They use too much force, causing head injuries and even cerebral palsy.
- Oxygen deprivation. A prolapsed umbilical cord or underdeveloped lungs can cause brain damage.
- Viral and bacterial infections in the mother or infant can cause complications resulting in birth injuries.
Types of Birth Injuries
Common birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy affects the brain’s control over muscles and the nervous system. It affects different areas of the body and can cause additional health complications over time. There is no cure, although therapy, medication, and surgery can be helpful.
- Erb’s palsy. Erb’s palsy is an injury to the brachial plexus, which is the network of nerves that sends signals from the spinal cord to the shoulders, arms, and hands. This is often caused by pulling on the child during a difficult delivery.
- Newborn cephalohematoma. This refers to a buildup of ruptured blood vessels in the tissue around the skull. If left untreated, the hematoma can cause disability or even death.
- Spinal cord injury. Spinal cord injuries are often caused by improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors. They can affect the connection of nerves between the brain and the rest of the body. An injury can range from mild bruising to spinal tears.
Contact Furman | Honick Law Today
While most birth injuries are minor and heal on their own, some are more severe, causing long-term complications.
If your baby was harmed by a doctor’s negligence, you may be dealing with a lot of expenses. Get adequate compensation with help from the experienced Baltimore birth injury lawyers at Furman | Honick Law. Schedule a free consultation by calling (410) 844-6000 or filling out the online form.