Baltimore Surgical Error Lawyer
Surgery comes with a lot of risks. There is a lot involved with these operations and as such, it’s common for surgeons to make mistakes.
Surgery can be scary enough, but knowing that a surgeon punctured an organ or left a tool inside your body can be terrifying. These and other mistakes can be major, causing serious injuries or even death. These errors are all avoidable, as they are all caused by negligence.
Negligence claims can result in lawsuits. If you have suffered harm from a surgeon’s negligence, seek legal help from Furman | Honick Law. See how our Baltimore surgical error lawyer can help you with your claim.
Common Surgical Errors
Some common surgical errors by doctors include:
- Objects left behind. Sponges, clamps, retractors, drains, and other objects may be left in a patient’s body. The patient may not even know about it until months or years later. They may experience inflammation, infections, perforation of internal organs, bleeding, and pain. Most often, the only way to remedy this situation is another surgery.
- Surgery on the wrong body part. Surgery is often performed on the wrong side of the body or even the wrong patient altogether. For example, a patient’s right leg may be amputated instead of the left wrong. A woman with breast cancer might get the wrong breast removed. A surgeon may operate on the wrong part of the spine.
- Surgical procedures result in open wounds, which can cause bacteria to enter. Dirty tools and surgical equipment may be the cause. This can lead to serious infections that may require antibiotics to clear up.
- Medication errors. Medication errors are very common, happening approximately 50% of the time. Most of these can be prevented. The most common causes include incorrect dosage, incorrect labeling, and not administering medication quickly enough to improve a patient’s vital signs
Causes of Surgical Errors
Surgical errors may be caused by the following:
- Doctors often work long shifts and don’t get the rest they need to safely perform an operation.
- If the surgeon is not properly trained, they are too incompetent to perform the surgery.
- Insufficient staffing. Sometimes surgical errors are caused by not having enough support staff, such as operating room nurses.
- Lack of communication. Errors often occur due to poor communication among doctors and nurses. Failing to document or communicate about something seemingly minor can have disastrous consequences.
- Medication errors. Medications may be required before or after surgery. There is always the chance that medication can cause serious side effects.
- Alcohol or drug use. Shockingly, many surgeons are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Contact Furman | Honick Law Today
Surgical errors are common, harming thousands of people every year.
If you have been harmed by a surgeon’s negligence, we’ll help you get full and fair compensation. Count on the experienced Baltimore surgical error lawyers at Furman | Honick Law to guide you through the process. Call (410) 844-6000 or fill out the online form to schedule a free consultation.