Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer
Baltimore, Maryland’s largest city, is a bustling hub for a multitude of economic activities and is densely populated. While this urban dynamism brings prosperity, it also increases the likelihood of accidents and personal injuries. The common types of personal injury cases in Baltimore often stem from motor vehicle accidents, workplace accidents, premises liability cases, medical malpractice, and product liability incidents.
We all get injured from time to time. It’s part of life. Every year, millions of people seek medical treatment for injuries. Many of these are caused by someone else’s negligent or reckless behavior. When someone else causes your injuries, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. Whether the injury was accidental or intentional, you could recover compensation for damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
If you suffered a serious injury, filing a claim for compensation can help you with financial recovery. The process can be tricky, though. Seek legal help from a Baltimore personal injury lawyer from Furman | Honick Law. We can assess your case for free and help you understand the next steps.
- Bed Sore
- Bicycle Accident
- Birth Injury
- Brachial Plexus
- Brain Injury
- Bus Accident
- Car Accident
- Catastrophic Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Doctor Error
- Dog Bite
- Drunk Driving Accident
- Emergency Room Error
- Fatal Car Accident
- Head & Neck Injury
- Heart Attack Malpractice
- Hospital Error
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accident
- Negligent Security
- Nursing Error
- Pedestrian Accident
- Preventable Suicide
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Sepsis & Septic Shock
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Surgery Complication
- Surgical Error
- Truck Accident
- Umbilical Cord Birth Injury
- Wrongful Death
Types of Personal Injury
Motor vehicle accidents, including car, truck, motorcycle, and pedestrian accidents, are frequently reported, resulting from factors like reckless driving, speeding, or distracted driving. Workplace accidents too are not uncommon, especially in industries such as construction, shipping, and manufacturing, where workers might suffer injuries due to unsafe working conditions or negligence on the employer’s part. Premises liability cases, like slip-and-fall accidents, often occur due to poorly maintained public or private properties. Furthermore, cases of medical malpractice, wherein a healthcare provider fails to meet the standard of care, resulting in patient harm, are also observed. Lastly, product liability cases arise when consumers are injured by defective or dangerous products.
There are many types of personal injury cases. They are classified by the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents. These are the most common types of injury cases. They include car, truck, pedestrian, and motorcycle crashes, as well as rideshare accidents.
- Medical malpractice. This is when a doctor injures a patient through substandard care. This can happen due to misdiagnosis, surgical errors, medical errors, birth injuries, and more.
- Workplace accidents. Going to work is not always safe. Slips and falls, machinery accidents, and vehicle crashes can all cause serious injuries.
- Premises liability. You expect to be safe when on someone else’s property. When a dangerous condition causes you to suffer an injury, you can file a premises liability claim.
- Dog bites. Dog bites may fall under premises liability. A dog attack can cause serious injuries, and the owner will typically be held liable.
- Product liability. This is when a person suffers an injury due to a dangerous product. You would have to prove one of these defects: design defect, manufacturing defect, or marketing defect.
If you’ve been injured due to another party’s negligence in Baltimore, it’s important to understand how to file a personal injury lawsuit and navigate through the process. The first step is to seek immediate medical attention, ensuring that your injuries are promptly and accurately documented.
Baltimore Personal Injury Lawsuit Process
Having a lawyer who is experienced in Baltimore’s personal injury laws can provide you the guidance necessary to build a strong case. Your attorney will help you gather evidence, which could include medical records, photographs, eyewitness testimonies, and any other relevant documentation that supports your claim.
The attorney then files a complaint, the official legal document that initiates a lawsuit, in the relevant Maryland court. This document details the plaintiff’s (the injured person’s) allegations, outlining how the defendant’s (the person being sued) actions or negligence led to the injury.
After filing, the discovery process begins, wherein both parties can examine the other’s evidence, depose witnesses, and build their legal strategies. If a settlement cannot be reached at this stage, the case will proceed to trial. At trial, both sides will present their evidence, and the judge or jury will make a final decision.
However, it’s worth noting that Maryland follows a contributory negligence rule, meaning that if you’re found even 1% at fault, you may be barred from recovering any damages. This stringent law underscores the significance of having a skilled personal injury attorney by your side who can effectively argue your case.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer
The pursuit of a personal injury claim in Baltimore can be a complex and lengthy process. Each case is unique and requires a deep understanding of the law, impeccable attention to detail, and extensive preparation. Therefore, having experienced legal counsel is not just advisable but often crucial to the success of your case.
Should you hire a lawyer for your claim? Here are some things that a personal injury lawyer can do for you:
- Gather information and evidence. You need evidence to support your claim. A lawyer knows all the different avenues to collect evidence of liability and damages.
- Ensure documents are submitted correctly. A personal injury claim requires a lot of paperwork. You likely don’t know how to fill out these documents properly. Plus, there are often deadlines involved. Let a lawyer handle this.
- Appropriately value your claim. Do you know how much your case is worth? Most likely, no. A lawyer knows how to place a value on your damages.
Contact Skilled Baltimore Injury Attorneys At Furman | Honick Law Today
Personal injuries can happen anywhere, from the home to the grocery store to the car to the doctor’s office. When they occur due to someone else’s negligence, make sure you take the appropriate steps to get full and fair compensation.
Count on the knowledgeable team from Furman | Honick Law to handle your case from start to finish. We know these cases inside and out, so let us focus on all the legal aspects. Fill out the online form or call (410) 844-6000 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Baltimore personal injury lawyer.