Owings Mills Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
When it comes to fatal car accidents, Maryland ranks 43rd out of the 50 states. Still, there are some deadly roads in the state. Interstate 97 is 17.62 miles long and has 0.79 fatalities per mile. US 1 is also considered to be a dangerous road in Maryland. This road runs north-south and runs 2,369 miles long.
Cars are often an important part of our lives. They’re a crucial form of transportation. When we get behind the wheel of a vehicle, we often forget about how deadly it can be. While many crashes are minor, many end up being fatal. Fatal car accidents can happen for many reasons, such as speeding, intoxication, and not following traffic laws.
If your loved one has been killed in a car crash, you may wonder what to do next. The Owings Mills fatal car accident lawyers at Furman | Honick Law can help you move on after such a tragedy.
What Causes Fatal Car Accidents?
Any type of crash can become fatal based on the impact and location of the damage on the vehicle. The following factors commonly cause fatal car accidents:
- Intoxication. Close to 30% of fatal car accidents involve drunk drivers.
- Speed. As the saying goes, speed kills. Going too fast can cause drivers to lose control.
- Distractions. Even though drivers need to be focused on the roadways, distractions are common while driving. Many fatal accidents occur when drivers are using their phones, talking to passengers, dealing with children and pets, eating, drinking, and reading.
- Fatigue. Exhausted drivers may fall asleep behind the wheel, particularly night shift workers and overworked truck drivers. This can cause a vehicle to leave the lane and go off the road or hit a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
- Vehicle defects. Some vehicles are constructed with defective parts. Defective tires, brakes, and other parts can cause fatal accidents.
What to Do Next
If your loved one was killed by another driver’s carelessness and negligence, you have a legal right to hold that driver accountable for their actions. While a lawyer can’t bring your loved one back to life, they can help you obtain compensation for the unexpected losses you and your family are dealing with, such as medical bills and funeral expenses.
In some cases, the negligent party may be forced to pay punitive damages. These are penalties that hopefully deter the person from engaging in the same behavior in the future and help prevent a similar tragedy from happening to other families.
Contact Furman | Honick Law Today
A fatal car accident involving a loved one can be a devastating situation. There is not only grief but medical bills and funeral expenses to deal with. What happens now?
One thing you should do is seek legal help. The team at Furman | Honick Law can guide you through the process. An Owings Mills fatal car accident lawyer can help you seek compensation and justice. Call (410) 844-6000 or fill out the online form to schedule a consultation.