Owings Mills Truck Driver Negligence Lawyer
Commercial trucks are often found on Maryland roadways. These essential vehicles haul essential goods from place to place. These large trucks are also dangerous, weighing as much as 80,000 pounds.
Unfortunately, many truck drivers are negligent. While many motorists are negligent, there are a lot of ways in which truck drivers can cause serious accidents. When these semi trucks hit smaller vehicles, the effects are disastrous. A passenger vehicle can get easily crushed, killing its occupants. Those who survive must often deal with lifelong injuries.
The damages from a truck accident can be extensive. Make sure you get compensation for all your damages, including car repairs, injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and more. The team at Furman | Honick Law has Owings Mills truck driver negligence lawyers who can help.
Types of Truck Driver Negligence
Truck drivers can cause accidents through the following:
- Distracted driving. Any motorist can be distracted while behind the wheel. A driver is not fully focused on the road when they are using their phone, eating, drinking, reading, talking to passengers, or dealing with pets or children. While truck drivers may not have passengers with them, they can still be distracted, which is dangerous with such a large truck.
- Drug use. Truck drivers work long hours and often on little sleep. This causes truck drivers to turn to methamphetamines for extra energy. Even prescription and over-the-counter medications can have an adverse effect on a truck driver.
- Driver fatigue. As mentioned above, long hours are common, making drivers exhausted. Truck drivers are limited to 11 hours of work a day under federal law. However, not all abide by this, as they are often under pressure to log as many miles as possible. This makes many truck drivers drive on little sleep, causing blurred vision and dizziness.
- Reckless driving. Speeding, tailgating, unsafe lane changes, and general aggressiveness all fall under reckless driving. Being overly aggressive can lead to severe consequences for other drivers.
- Poor training. Many trucking companies fail to properly train drivers. These large trucks are not easy to drive and require adequate training. A poorly trained driver can be a huge danger on the roadways.
- Improper loading. A semi truck that is not loaded properly can be difficult to handle on the road. The lack of balance can cause the truck driver to lose control, which is a serious issue with a truck that potentially weighs 40 tons.
Contact Furman | Honick Law Today
Truck accidents can be catastrophic or even fatal. While other motorists may be liable for accidents, many of these crashes are caused by negligent truck drivers.
If you have been a victim, you are likely dealing with severe injuries. Get the compensation you need from the team at Furman | Honick Law. We’re not scared to work with the trucking companies. Schedule a free consultation with an Owings Mills truck driver negligence lawyer today by calling (410) 844-6000 or filling out the online form.