Owings Mills Wrongful Death Lawyer
Unfortunately, people die unexpectedly every day. Your child may die in a car crash. Your brother may die in a construction accident. Your spouse may be murdered while walking in the neighborhood. Your parent may die during a routine surgery due to a doctor’s negligence.
These are all cases of wrongful death. Wrongful death occurs when someone’s negligent or intentional behavior causes someone else’s death. In Maryland, the deceased person’s spouse, children, or parents may file a wrongful death lawsuit. They have three years from the date of death to do so.
While not every death is classified as wrongful, many are, so if you believe your loved one is a victim, seek legal help. Let the Owings Mills wrongful death lawyers at Furman | Honick Law assess your case.
Causes of Wrongful Death
The most common causes of wrongful death are:
- Car and truck accidents. These are the most common causes of wrongful death, as these crashes happen on a daily basis.
- Workplace accidents. Many workplaces have hazards such as ladders, machinery, slippery floors, and tools, all which can cause fatality.
- Construction accidents. Construction sites have many hazards, such as power tools, electricity, heights, heavy materials, heavy equipment, and vehicles.
- Slips and falls. A slip and fall that affects the head or spinal cord can lead to paralysis or even death.
- Medical malpractice. Doctors make mistakes, too, and puncturing an organ or causing an infection can be fatal.
- Defective products. Many consumer goods, such as electronics, toys, appliances, and even vehicles can be defective, causing a person to suffer serious injuries and even death.
- Criminal acts. Gunshot wounds, stabbings, and assaults can all cause a victim to die.
What a Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Do
Wrongful death cases can be complex. A lawyer can help with the following:
- Investigate the case. Sometimes the facts of a case are hidden until it is investigated. A lawyer can look for proof of negligence in your loved one’s death, such as police reports and medical reports.
- Seek compensation. There are economic and non-economic damages that you can sue for in a wrongful death case. Your lawyer can review all the relevant facts and determine a fair amount of compensation based on your loved one’s circumstances.
- Explain your legal rights. There are certain family members who can sue for wrongful death, plus there are timelines involved. Your lawyer can explain the laws to you.
Contact Furman | Honick Law Today
It can be devastating when a loved one dies unexpectedly. While a lawsuit won’t bring back your deceased family member, it can bring about justice and closure.
Furman | Honick Law has assisted countless families reeling from the death of a loved one. We understand the emotions involved and will help you get fair compensation for the losses incurred from your family member’s death. Schedule a free consultation with an Owings Mills wrongful death lawyer today by filling out the online form or calling (410) 844-6000.